Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: I caught the bug! Dead!

  1. #11
    Senior Member blabbermouth Theseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,606
    Thanked: 415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nun2sharp View Post
    I have a GEM single edge in the display cabinet, what are good blades for these, I might use it once out of curiousity.
    The besy blades I've found are the Gem SS blades that are sold a Walgreens. The CS Gem blades are good as well but will rust after one use.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Theseus For This Useful Post:

    nun2sharp (11-21-2011)

  3. #12
    Disposable blades = Disposable men. vvti713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    682
    Thanked: 55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nun2sharp View Post
    I have a GEM single edge in the display cabinet, what are good blades for these, I might use it once out of curiousity.
    i was about to say the same thing.. i know of a few gems i can buy.. i just haven't because i dont know what kind of blade to use them with.

  4. #13
    Real Live Barber chay2K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    454
    Thanked: 115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nun2sharp View Post
    I have a GEM single edge in the display cabinet, what are good blades for these, I might use it once out of curiousity.
    I have a GEM as well, in fact, it's my only non-straight razor. So far I've liked Dorcos and Personnas the best. I usually just go with the Personnas because they're the easiest for me to find locally. Hope this helps.
    "The ability to reason the un-reason which has afflicted my reason saps my ability to reason, so that I complain with good reason..."
    -- Don Quixote

  5. #14
    Senior Member blabbermouth Mikael's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,307
    Thanked: 2623

    Default

    Best De I've used was a British Gillette Aristocrat no 15, I've had two actually, but none's left with me. Another _very_ good one is the Gillette Popular, almost as nice as the Aristocrats.

  6. #15
    Indisposed
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    6,038
    Thanked: 1193

    Default

    Hey, I'm the one who first coined the acronym DEAD...lol

    Yup, DE collecting is just as valid AD as anything else around here. Just check any DE-centric forum (or metho's list ) for proof of that. So don't worry, you're not alone.
    vvti713 likes this.

  7. #16
    Member methos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    55
    Thanked: 8

    Default

    If you are concerned about the DEAD bug...go and take a look at Badger and Blade forums. There are many users there who shave with a different razor every week, although they have a razor rotation.
    Although I think I have it pretty bad. Since once a year I go on razor shopping and get some new razors. Since starting straight razor shaving (which was about 2 weeks ago), I have collected quite a few straights.
    vvti713 likes this.

  8. #17
    Disposable blades = Disposable men. vvti713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    682
    Thanked: 55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by methos View Post
    If you are concerned about the DEAD bug...go and take a look at Badger and Blade forums. There are many users there who shave with a different razor every week, although they have a razor rotation.
    Although I think I have it pretty bad. Since once a year I go on razor shopping and get some new razors. Since starting straight razor shaving (which was about 2 weeks ago), I have collected quite a few straights.
    LMAO I LOVE YOUR AVATAR DAVID!!! LOLOLOLOLOL

  9. #18
    Member methos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    55
    Thanked: 8

    Default

    I thought it was funny too...that's why I chose it...
    vvti713 likes this.

  10. #19
    Special Agent Gibbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Fennville, MI
    Posts
    628
    Thanked: 92

    Default

    You might be surprised by the early Gem razors for shaving. Some have likened it as the closest of the SE/DE razors to the straight razor shaves. I have one that is chromed and you twist the handle to open it up and another a 1912 GEM that you pull up on the cover to put the razor in it. Gold plated and with a GEM razor made for shaving (stay away from utility blades ie paint removers) they will give a surprising close and and very comfortable shave.

    I have managed to collect certain years that mean something to me: 1971 year of HS Graduation 1977 X4 My Son's birthday, Y2 - my birth year and quarter, and so on. Actually getting the latter years is a bit harder. I think they are still in use or still in someone's dresser drawer. Last I knew, they were made (as adjustables) until 1989, thereabouts.
    vvti713 likes this.
    ~~ Vern ~~
    I was born with nothing and managed to keep most of it.
    Former Nebraskan. Go Big Red

  11. #20
    Disposable blades = Disposable men. vvti713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    682
    Thanked: 55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbs View Post
    You might be surprised by the early Gem razors for shaving. Some have likened it as the closest of the SE/DE razors to the straight razor shaves. I have one that is chromed and you twist the handle to open it up and another a 1912 GEM that you pull up on the cover to put the razor in it. Gold plated and with a GEM razor made for shaving (stay away from utility blades ie paint removers) they will give a surprising close and and very comfortable shave.

    I have managed to collect certain years that mean something to me: 1971 year of HS Graduation 1977 X4 My Son's birthday, Y2 - my birth year and quarter, and so on. Actually getting the latter years is a bit harder. I think they are still in use or still in someone's dresser drawer. Last I knew, they were made (as adjustables) until 1989, thereabouts.
    I was born in 89 =] lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •