Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: C Klauberg & Bros

< Banned User >

Default C Klauberg & Bros

HELLO
    I just picked up this razor on EBAY last night. Does anybody have any info on this razor ?

Thank You
    MARK
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Retired Developer

Nothing in our database. But if you check google, you will find some information on the manufacturer. Seems to be a mystery company, though: http://straightrazorpalace.com/razor...ify-razor.html.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BeBerlin For This Useful Post:

MARKHOLLADAY (07-19-2009)

C. CLAUBERG & BROS. NEW YORK c1924. This firm opened a new store in in 1924 at 43rd and Madison Ave. New York City.

From Goins'. Hope this helps!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Croaker For This Useful Post:

F.A. CLAUBERG & CO.
    Import company
    27 Park Place, New York City
    Used trademarks: "HALBERD", "THE MIKADO", "IMPERATOR", "TONSORIAL GEM", "RAZOR MAN"
    ca. 1885-1926

7. The Following User Says Thank You to John Crowley For This Useful Post:

The Klauberg business moved to William Street in 1824 and remained there until 1916. In 1829 they began importing razor blanks from Sheffield and then ground and set them at New York - it would seem that they also had blades made in Germany too! After 1916 they moved to the Woolworth Building where they werein business until about 1940.

C. Klauberg & Bros. was the company name from 1837 - 1861 and 'Damascene' was a trade mark used around 1883 though it was used obviously earlier. Carl Klauberg came out of retirement during the Civil War to again run the firm - perhaps this is the reason for the tang strike being as it is. If I were to guess the razor's date I would say 1870 - 1880.

Hope this helps!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to blueprinciple For This Useful Post:

MARKHOLLADAY (08-17-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by blueprinciple View Post
    The Klauberg business moved to William Street in 1824 and remained there until 1916. In 1829 they began importing razor blanks from Sheffield and then ground and set them at New York - it would seem that they also had blades made in Germany too! After 1916 they moved to the Woolworth Building where they werein business until about 1940.

C. Klauberg & Bros. was the company name from 1837 - 1861 and 'Damascene' was a trade mark used around 1883 though it was used obviously earlier. Carl Klauberg came out of retirement during the Civil War to again run the firm - perhaps this is the reason for the tang strike being as it is. If I were to guess the razor's date I would say 1870 - 1880.

Hope this helps!

Today I picked up a 6/8 Klauberg Damascene with "made in England" partially obliterated. I will post some pix after a bit of sanding.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Basset For This Useful Post:

MARKHOLLADAY (08-17-2009)

F.A. CLAUBERG & CO.
    Import company
    27 Park Place, New York City
    Used trademarks: "HALBERD", "THE MIKADO", "IMPERATOR", "TONSORIAL GEM", "RAZOR MAN"
    ca. 1885-1926

Default Re Query about C Klauberg & Bros Razor

Hi -

You got me. I had my eye on that razor - and lost track of time. I am a descendant of the Klauberg family - who have been cutlers in and around Solingen, Germany since the 1300s - and I collect Klauberg cutlery.

The first Klauberg cutlery store in America was founded by my 8th great-grandfather, Peter Daniel Klauberg, in New York at 84 Maiden Lane, in 1819. He emigrated from Solingen, Germany around that time, establishing what would become a dynasty that would last almost 150 years. Klauberg cutlers manufactured surgical instruments, razors, pen-knives, tailors shears, cleavers and knives of all kinds - a full range of common and specialty items. From its store in the Biltmore Hotel, it also sold high-end clocks, hollow-ware, cigarette boxes, lighters and other fine giftware.

In addition to manufacturing items in the US, the Klauberg family imported a variety of cutlery from those Claubergs/Klaubergs (C and K were interchangeable) who remained in Germany from the early 1800s until the early 1950s, when the last store in New York City closed.

Let me know if you ever decide you might like to give it up - it's a lovely specimen - don't have anything quite like it in my collection!

Christine Klauberg Davis
    BigJim and Oscroft like this.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shelbyjune For This Useful Post:

BeBerlin (08-23-2009), BigJim (07-08-2011)

Retired Developer

Guten Abend, Christine,

And many thanks for the info. Would you mind putting the information into our Wiki article on your family's business? Klauberg, C. & Bros - Straight Razor Place Wiki - log in first, then edit away.

Many thanks in advance,
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by shelbyjune View Post
    Hi -

You got me. I had my eye on that razor - and lost track of time. I am a descendant of the Klauberg family - who have been cutlers in and around Solingen, Germany since the 1300s - and I collect Klauberg cutlery.

[snip]

In addition to manufacturing items in the US, the Klauberg family imported a variety of cutlery from those Claubergs/Klaubergs (C and K were interchangeable) who remained in Germany from the early 1800s until the early 1950s, when the last store in New York City closed.

Christine Klauberg Davis
    Evidently they imported some blades that were either made or assembled in England as well. This one, which I am in the midst of restoring, has "England" partially worn off under the family name and NY address.

Here's a camera closeup of the stamp. You can see the "and" from England.

And finally here's a zoom from my USB microscope, which shows more of the worn portion of the word "England" in the stamp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast