Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pastes

Default Pastes

Can anyone tell me what the differance in terminology is about pastes?
    For example the dovo red paste is 2-4 microns and the Thiers-Issard Razor Sharpening Paste comparable to that achieved with a 10,000 grit barber hone. So the question is how do you convert microns to grit or grit to microns?---
    Last edited by Damon; 09-19-2006 at 06:50 PM.

Electric Razor Aficionado

I've seen conflicting conversions, americans and japanese measure these things differently (US uses maximum grain size, Japan uses average grain size or something like that). I've seen the norton 8k grit hone described as 3 microns, and Shapton claims their 15k hone is 0.96 micron. I've seen apparently identical chromium oxide pastes described as 0.5 micron, 30k grit, and 60k grit. Both Norton and Shapton make 8k water hones, but the 8k shapton seems noticeably finer than the norton; if the shapton is 8k I'd guess the norton is about 6k. What either of them really are is anybody's guess.

I'm not sure the exact numbers are that critical anyway. All you need is a progression you're comfortable working with.

Electric Razor Aficionado

I should also mention that if you're gonna be sharpening your own razors, you'll likely acquire a large variety of pastes and hones, which is another reason the exact values don't really matter, you're gonna get them all anyway so just give in.

Now you've gone and really opened a can of worms
    Quote Originally Posted by Damon
    So the question is how do you convert microns to grit or grit to microns?---
    Or grit to grit and microns to microns? There is no worldwide standard... different countries and manufacturers adhere to different standards on how to measure the abrasive particle size, so it's difficult to compare them. For example, here's a [reference chart]... but keep in mind one size doesn't fit all when it comes to standards. Check [here] for more charts.

I'm sure one of the more experienced honemeisters will post to give you some gut-feel experience.

Thanks for the info and the charts it gives me an idea where to start.
    Also Joe where in Arizona do you live. Im out here in Goodyear.---
    Damon
    Last edited by Damon; 09-19-2006 at 08:03 PM.

Hones & Honing randydance062449's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The best rule of thumb is to use a progressively smaller micron size.
    Randolph Tuttle, a SRP Mentor for residents of Minnesota & western Wisconsin

Default Paste Purchase

I purchased some DOVO red paste and some Thiers-Issard put DOVO on one side a the Thiers-Issard on the other. What I thought was very sparingly meaning in spots the size of a dime and mede a few vertical lines down the paddle strop but covered the length of the strop not using more than a little over a pea size amount on each side. Any way I have found the DOVO works just fine and sharpens a slightly dull blade. While the Thiers-Issard Dulls my blade when I go from the DOVO to the Thiers-Issard and it's suppose to be a finer grit.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
    Last edited by Damon; 09-28-2006 at 05:04 AM.

Blog Entries

I put researched and put together this info some time ago.

Grits:
    Dovo Red = 2-4 micron
    Dovo Green = 6
    Dovo Black =1
    TI paste =2

Sometimes the paste is applied to thick and this will dull the edge. Try thinning out the TI paste. and see what happens.

Personally, after the red paste I would use a 0.5 micron paste. Either chrome oxide or diamond. I like the chrome oxide the best (so far).

Blog Entries

I researched and put together this info some time ago.

Grits:
    Dovo Red = 2-4 micron
    Dovo Green = 6
    Dovo Black =1
    TI paste =2

Sometimes the paste is applied to thick and this will dull the edge. Try thinning out the TI paste. and see what happens.

Personally, after the red paste I would use a 0.5 micron paste. Either chrome oxide or diamond. I like the chrome oxide the best (so far).

Randy, is there a noticeable difference in the shaving experience between 0.5 and 0.25?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast