Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default The science of pyramids?

I was just wondering precisely why using the pyramid method to honing is better? So far in my limited honing experience I've never used one, though, I have occasionally reverted back to a rougher stone. In my knife sharpening experience (though I'm not an expert) I've never used any techniques that resemble a pyramid either.
    So anyway, what advantages/disadvantages does using pyramids posses? What exactly is it doing different to the steel/edge?

The pyramid is IMO a method that enables the inexperiences honer to get to a good result without much knowledge about how the edge develops and what grit is needed at what stage. It thus forms a well-proven basis from which the beginner can build up his own knowledge about honing.

Furthermore, the alteration of grits helps to prevent a wire edge.

-Axel-

I second that.

X

Hones & Honing randydance062449's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The purpose of the Pyramid method is to provide a structure, a method, of honing that will allow a new person to obtain a shaving sharp edge. It has another goal of preventing the most common mistake, an overhoned edge, which is also referred to as a "wire edge". The method uses a slow and gradual approach to honing. It does require a bit of patience, persistence and practice but it will get you there.

The document in the files section needs to be expanded to differentiate between the different types of edges a person encounters such as, New razor, ebay special, edge refreshing and also mention needs to be made of the pressure to use at each stage.

I will have to get to that soon!
    Randolph Tuttle, a SRP Mentor for residents of Minnesota & western Wisconsin

Blog Entries

Based on the number of different types of razors out there, the hardness of the metals, the shapes of the blades and the various degrees of previous honing, there will always be a degree of experimentation and refinement, but the Pyramid methods and X stroke provide a very consistent basis for new folks. Good Luck. Lynn

So you use the X-pattern, even when the hone is wide enough for the entire blade ?

Redwoood

When I got my norton, this also confussed the hell out of me, I do use the X pattern on my 3" wide norton. It works much better.

Peter

Hones & Honing randydance062449's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The most common honing stroke used is the X pattern stroke.
    One reason is that it works with most of the blade shapes and accomadates most hone sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwoood
    So you use the X-pattern, even when the hone is wide enough for the entire blade ?

Redwoood
    Randolph Tuttle, a SRP Mentor for residents of Minnesota & western Wisconsin

now, with a narrow hone, I totally understand.

but if your hone is as wide as your blade, don't you eventually overhone the toe and underhone the heel ?
    I mean you don't have a choice where to start the stroke, because if your heel is not at the edge of the stone, ie you start with the heel in the middle, then the blade would rest on the shoulder, and you would hardly be able to get a proper angle.
    So I need to to start with the heel at the edge, and as soon as I start honing (with the X pattern) more and more of the heel leaves the hone, while the toe is on the stone for the entire stroke.

How does that work?

Redwoood

If you hone a blade with a smile then only a small part of the edge contacts the hone. That is why you have to use a slight shifting of the contact point throughout the stroke to go from heel to toe.

This also prevents the excessive honing of the toe since it does not touch the hone from start to finish of the stroke.

I find most of my blades require the slight rocking from heel to to and if they don't I still do this and impart a slight smile to the edge over time. I prefer a slight smile to a flat edge for purely aesthetic reasons. Both shave well, but to me a smile looks better.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast