Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nice razor, but I think I will return this one.

Looks like at some point in its life the razor got rusty, the owner decided to remove the rust with a very course stone or a belt sander.
    Can you see the “double bevel” at the SPINE in the last pic?
    And the sanding on the belly near the edge.

Maybe it my aging eyes but I didn’t see this in the listing photos.

What do you guys think?
    Am I way off in my assessment?
    Am I Too picky?
    Would you keep it?

Edit: I should have mentioned I paid $35 for it... Thanks ChrisL
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by smythe; 05-13-2008 at 10:39 PM.

Senior Member blabbermouth ChrisL's Avatar

In part, for me it would depend on what I paid for it.

We've all seen rust and oxidation on or near the edge worse than what this one shows, but I'm always concerned about oxidation on the edge. Most often under magnification and after cleaning, oxidation on my edges equate to micro-pitting. I have yet to restore a razor that retains micro-pitting on the actual edge and have such a razor be an outstanding shaver. It may be my abilities or lack thereof, since I recall fairly recently at least one person commented that micro-pitting, even somewhat extreme micro-pitting was not preventing them from getting an awesome shave. So....go figure.

Chris L
    "Blues fallin' down like hail." Robert Johnson
    "Aw, Pretty Boy, can't you show me nuthin but surrender?" Patti Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisl View Post
    In part, for me it would depend on what I paid for it.

We've all seen rust and oxidation on or near the edge worse than what this one shows, but I'm always concerned about oxidation on the edge. Most often under magnification and after cleaning, oxidation on my edges equate to micro-pitting. I have yet to restore a razor that retains micro-pitting on the actual edge and have such a razor be an outstanding shaver. It may be my abilities or lack thereof, since I recall fairly recently at least one person commented that micro-pitting, even somewhat extreme micro-pitting was not preventing them from getting an awesome shave. So....go figure.

Chris L
    Looks like they sanded out any oxidation on the edge... but it was done with course paper... if i were to polish out the scratch marks... on this thin hollow ground razor... may become too thin.

The original Skolor and Gentileman. gugi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think it depends mostly on the description. If the razor matches it, then you made a bad choice. If the description was significantly different I think you can return it - don't laugh but I recently returned a 'looks like never was used' razor because it was honed to death and unevenly at it.
    I've also sent back razors for cracks on the scales that were not disclosed, or wrong scales material (although not when 'looks like bone' looked to me and then turned out to be ivory).

Basically the only thing that matters when I decide whether to return or not an item is how different it is from the description (including any additional pictures and information the seller may have given me). I clearly was happy to pay the price for what was described and in the few cases when I've missed to notice defects which were seen on the picture (e.g. large chip that you could clearly see in the shadow) I've recognized it was my mistake, so I just lived with it.
    Last edited by gugi; 05-13-2008 at 11:47 PM.

It really depends on the description. I have bought several razors from sellers who knew nothing about razors and said the same. I cannot hold them responsible because I didn't ask for better pictures or more info. How was the razor described or include the original link and we can give you a better feel. For the most part, EBite is always buyer beware unless you buy from altima55 or similar sellers and you will never get a $35 price point on these.

The photos were good showing all the rust/stains/ect... just don't see the fine details until you get the goods.
    The "flaws are not easy to photograph.
    Maybe the seller didn't know anything about razors but as a collector I know once held in hand.
    link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140226698101&ru=http%3 A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll% 3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D140226698 101%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1

I'd keep it!

I really get off on bringing an Ebay razor from an unsatisfactory condition to a thing of beauty that, also, becomes a great shaver! but that's just me....

You may not want to do that.

Union Cutlery is a good brand and the scales, that match, are really outstanding.

Hey, I'd even buy it for what you paid + shipping.

That's how I feel about it. With some good old TLC, this could be an outstanding razor!

Steve

JMS

I'm with zepplin!

I wouldn't think it would take much work to brin her up to snuff. But if you're not into that kind of thing' you may wish to try for the return. Or sell it to a member for costs and then everybody is happy.

Thanks guys... I'll take your advice and hold on to the razor... restore maybe it will make a good shaver...
    Just love this place!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast