Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Playing an instrument

Blood-faced volleyball

Default Playing an instrument

One of my other passions is playing the clarinet. Mostly I play jazz. To me, this is definitely a finer thing in life!

As I haven't seen any other threads about this topic, I thought it fitting to ask if there are any fellow musicians on the boards. If so, what instrument and kind of music do you play?

I have had formal training for 3 instruments, and still enjoy playing them from time to time.

1. trombone, ten years of formal training, good for classical and jazz, don't play this as much anymore
    2. bass guitar, two semesters of formal training, jazz only, would like to play along with some of my metal albums, but this requires a level of musicianship I don't possess
    3. bagpipes, 2 years of formal training, good for playing... bagpipe music love playing these, play them the most. have to do it on days with good weather, the neighborhood association and the wife won't let me play it at home so I walk to the park to play it. (not because I'm particularly bad at it, but it is VERY loud)

Played trumpet for around 7 years, then (similar but a lot less fun) was a ceremonial bugler for another 6 in an on-call basis.
    Also toy around with a few other instruments like harmonicas, jaw harps, a fife,
    and I can even play the kazoo.
    But no serious instruments like Piano-too pricey. Maybe another day.
    My father used to play harpsichord when he was in college, which I think is a bit rare these days...
    Lately I just play the radio.
    John P.

I'm a professional bassist. My bachelor's degree is in Music Performance (Magna cum Laude) from Berklee College of Music in Boston. I play whatever I am payed to play, but prefer jazz or fusion if I had my way. I'm actually going back on tour this Friday with a touring Broadway show that I was out with when it started back in the fall.

I play my steering wheel when I'm jamming in the car

Oh, an actual instrument...gotcha. Well, I play bass guitar decently as well as regular. I like to jam out to punk and other rock on my electric, but I also like doing acoustic stuff. Since I don't have an acoustic at the moment, I make do with my twangy Telecaster.

Guitarist here. I play pop/rock/punk/metal.

My favorite songs to learn are Dave Matthews songs. They're fun and challenging. Next up are Muse songs and after that anything goes really. I play both electric and acoustic.

I play a bit of upright bass. Only really play honky tonk, rockabilly, bluegrass, folk. but i agree, i would classify "music" as a finer thing in life.

Blog Entries

Trombone and bass trombone. I retired from the Army Band in 1996 and I'm a high school band director now. I still play on weekends.

I play drums. I love playing jazz, but there's not much call for that around here. I'm the type of drummer that old folks like (not too loud!). If any of you horn players come through Tennessee, look me up and we'll have a hillbilly jam session!

I've got a few guitars, a mandola and a charango. I only play the guitars a little these days. I guess I'm a folk player, but I like to stretch myself with jazz.

X

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast