Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Steel crazy after all these years RayG's Avatar

Default Str8ts: Health Hazard?

I got a small nick shaving my upper lip today, and I started thinking about this.

How do you clean your razor after you get a nick or otherwise draw blood? Do you do anything differently, or just rinse with hot faucet water as you do after shaving?

How do you clean the used razor you bought through the BST or ebay?

HIV is less of a concern, since the virus really does not survive that long outside of the host. Hepatitis C is more durable, and more concerning. Many Americans with Hep C contracted the infection by sharing needles for IV drug use, or simply by using used hypodermic syringes and needles. More often than not, these were "sterilized" using modalities available at home. Same thing with tattoo parlors years ago, before the scare from these infections led to more attention to health concerns.

When I buy, say a used DE razor, I boil it for a certain amount of time, and that is usually sufficient. Alcohol alone is not. Then again, that's the DE razor. I don't think I'd be comfortable with a used DE blade (assuming it is still sharp, hypothetically), which really would have come in contact with blood, rather than the razor itself.

Unfortunately, most straights cannot be boiled, since the scales will get destroyed. Autoclaving and hospital grade disinfectants like Cidex are not really generally available. Other than that, the kill rate on the Hep C virus is not 100%.

4.1M people in the US today are positive for Hepatitis C. Most are in the 40-49 y.o. age group. Many more are undiagnosed.

Just in case, you may say you've been doing this for years, and have had no problem. Or don't know any who've had one. Remember, the latency of Hep C infection is 20 years.

Don't mean to stir the pot, but just thought I'd throw this in, and see what others' think, and do.
    Last edited by RayG; 03-02-2008 at 02:35 AM.

I use my Lysol wipes on everything in my bathroom once a week. No one else uses my stuff, so I don't worry too much.

Plus I get a full blood workup twice a year to make sure nothing shows up to the party.
    Last edited by Windcalmer; 03-02-2008 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Spelling error

After I draw my own blood, I don't do anything, I ain't gonna get anything I ain't already got.

When I get a used razor I usually treat it first with a water and soap wash. Then I coat it in a chemical cleaner strong enough to eat rust and tarish right off (MAAS). then it gets scrubbed with a mild abrasive untill a mirror finish is achieved. At this point it is again cleaned with soapy water. Then as a final sterilization step I grind off the old cutting surface and replace it with a fresh one. After this is done the razor is cleanied again, this time with rubbing alcohol, then mineral oil and put into use.

After this entire process I doubt anything will survive.

That's a very good question.

I have a bottle of BARBICIDE that i purchased at a local Sally's Beauty Supply.

I have used Barbicide to "sterilize" DE razors that I have purchased at antique shops, ebay etc.

But I am worried about soaking scales in Barbicide.

Doc
    lost

Steel crazy after all these years RayG's Avatar

Thanks, for the link, Doc. I agree with your post about alcohol. I will try to get some cidex at work tomorrow, and will use that to disinfect my razors.

Senior Member blabbermouth ChrisL's Avatar

Cleaning/sterilizing old razors is a good common sense practice; it's an unknown regarding the measures necessary and time lapse needed for any potentially harmful virus, etc to die and be rendered harmless.

For those that are worried about the potential for transmission of illnesses from old razors (personally I think the possibility of transmission from an antique razor not likely used for years is nil), I don't mean to post this to keep you awake at night, but if anything, shouldn't the worry, if you have worry be about prions rather than bacteria or viruses? CLICK HERE

To kill prions (the cause of Mad Cow, in humans known as CJD) you need a pressurized autoclave to be able to keep the instrument at 274 degrees Fahrenheit for at least 18 minutes. I don't have one of those.

Personally, I'll clean my blades as I normally do and I'm not going to worry about it. Others certainly might though. We're all different.

Odd.....it is a bit contradictory for me to say I'm not worried about prions and my old razors when I haven't eaten beef in 10+ years.

Chris L

I use a very strong solution of Clorox and water mixture. I let it soak for about 5 minutes then I rinse and wash with soap. Will this kill everything, including prions?

Richard

Hi all,
    Though I’m still a newbie to straight razors and have yet received my usable new razor in the mail. I thought this was a valid question. So I did a little research. According to the CDC the recommended solution to kill off the Hep C virus is 1:10 bleach compound: 1 part bleach to 10 parts water and let the solution stand for 30 secs. This virus according to the CDC only lasts in the open environment for a max of a 4 days to a week. So there really isn’t that much of a worry.
    Resources: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hepatitis/c/faq.htm

As I said I’m a total newbie and am thinking to get a used razor or 10 in the future as rotation razors. My first order was a ZeePK kit that I found on E-Bay. The 2 razors I got are nothing more then strop practice razors and new letter openers. So I thought I’d give this solution a test to see if it tarnished the finish. I soaked one in this solution for 45 secs and then cleaned it with soap and water. I don’t see any tarnish or damage to them of any kind.
    Wes
    Last edited by GibII; 03-03-2008 at 05:30 AM.

Prions come from nervous tissue, so unless someone was using your razor to prepare samples you'll be fine.

It seems to me that diseases from the previous owner should be less of a worry than things picked up in transit or while fixing. Disinfecting before fixing up isn't a bad thing, since you could cut yourself with a razor while restoring but proper hygiene and cleaning cuts when you get them will also keep you safe.

As long as you're not rubbing the razor on the ground or keeping it in an unsanitary place (which would likely be bad for the blade anyway!) you shouldn't worry too much.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast