Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Otto Deutsch Restore

At this point in time... gssixgun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Otto Deutsch Restore

This is an Otto Deutsch "Hans" that just got to me...Naturaly slightly worse off than I was hopping for when I saw it on the Bay....
    I decided to post "before" pics on this one and then post the ongoing progress... WARNING!!!!! last time I did a thread like this the whole system crashed
    The razor is a true 11/16 spike point full hollow My favorite style of razor for personal use...I don't know why but this size just seems to work best for me. I will use anything from 4/8-6/8 after that they have a tendency to end up on the B/S/T forum

This one has some rust on the back side and spots of rust on the front Looks like I am not dealing with any pitting, but still to early to tell.... Looking at the pivot and the fact that the pins are all original I am not going to pop pins on this one I'll use some string and rouge to clean the pivot later, and put just a touch of Kroil in there today, so by the time I need to clean it any rust will have been lifted and softend... If yer not familiar with Kroil I would suggest you look into it...
    Since I don't think there is any pitting under the rust, I will start at 400 grit paper and see what happens.... This things are always an adventure!!!!!!

Name:  013.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  31.9 KB
    Name:  012.jpg
Views: 1080
Size:  23.3 KB
    Name:  010.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  43.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by gssixgun; 11-06-2009 at 12:26 AM.

I bet she cleans up real nice Glen - can't wait to see more pics!

Doc
    lost

looks like fun Glen! keep us posted!

< Banned User >

use a crappy razor to "shave" off the rust before using the dremel so that it it doesn't turn black and hard and not want to come off. You will be surprised what you can get under that sort of rust if you don't polish it off cause sanding it or polishing it off can enlarge the pits already there and make it worse.

Blog Entries

This technique that Topher is talking about is one of the quickest and easiest ways to remove rust... I always assumed that everyone knew of it (sometimes I am dumb that way).... BTW a great little tool to do this is one of those little Corn razors that you seem to get in every razor lot, along with a Durham Duplex the slightly cruved tip on this little blade fits into the hollow curves and small nooks and makes scraping the rust off a breeze..... Try this if you havent already.... you'll be surprised how fast it makes the rust removal go...

Blog Entries

Default Stage 1 restore

This is after about 1 hour of work around 400 grit
    Most of the rust is gone and the razor is starting on it's way back to being useful

Name:  Stage 1.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  33.3 KB

Name:  Stage 2.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  31.6 KB

Blog Entries

Default 4 hours and It's ready!!!!

I started at 8:00 am on this restore and at 12:00 noon it is finished and ready for the stones and strops.....
    I put a little more into the blade finish on this one, usually I don't use power tools but the project was going very well, so I went with a mirror finish with a dremmel... Normally on working razors, I don't like a mirror finish, mostly because of my personality, one small scratch will drive me nutz... so it usually stops at 2000 grit paper, then just some hand polishing with pastes.... On this one the brass inlays had to be polished out along with the scales, I love that emerald green celuloid now that it is all cleaned up...
    Keep in mind I suck at taking pics, the razor in real life is one of the best looking I have seen....

Gentlemen a fully restored Otto Deutsch "Hans" 11/16 spike point.. by Otto Deutsch & Sohne Solingen-Germany

Name:  Otto 1.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  20.5 KB

Name:  Otto4.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  23.0 KB

Name:  otto m.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  35.8 KB
    Phrank likes this.

Great job Glen! Plenty to be proud about there!

Blog Entries

Thanks Alex, I am going to try shaving with it Wed morning we'll see how that goes!!!
    Another question that has arisen is whether or not this razor brand is of Dubl Duck breeding????? Two very knowledgeable members here disagree on this, so they will remain nameless... If anyone has proof either way, as to the breeding linage of the brand I would love to know!!!!

That one turned out really nice, hope it shaves as well as it looks!

What do you use to polish the scales, the famed renaissance(?) wax?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast