Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Norton Honing Pyramid

At the risk of inviting a myrid of comments about my declining mental status, I can't find the post on the above topic. I know many of us have moved beyond this, but with the constant arrival of new members, I though we had said we were going to create a "sticky" with this information. Is this one of the things that got lost in the "event"? Or is it just someplace where I can't find it?

I have a regular need to refer customers to this information. It is also a way that I find useful to introduce people to our community, who may not be aware of all the resources that Straight Razor Place has to offer.

By the way, as you know, Lynn hones my razors. What you may not know is that every one of those razors goes out the door with a label attached to it that says in part "......honed by Lynn Abrams, founder of Straight Razor Place, (http://straightrazorpalace.com). It's just another way that I'm trying to expand the awareness of this special place.

I know its in the archives/library section. Maybe a sticky would make sense too. Even I don't feel comfortable making things a sticky. Its like hanging up stuff in your neighbors house.

Alan,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I did access the document where you said it was, but to do so is a bit awkward, to say the least. Futhermore, I don't think, given the relative universal appeal of this "tool" for the new member, that this is the best place for it. Admitedly, my proposed use of the pyramid to promote SRP is a secondary need of mine alone, that shouldn't enter into the discussion. However, I would ask that you and the other Moderators at least consider the "Sticky" idea.

Is the pyramid doc linked in the newbie FAQ? That would be a good place to make a shortcut to it.

As I'm thinking about it, I'm wondering if it might be good to have a FAQ sticky at the top of each forum. Maybe I'll suggest that somewhere....

Josh

Jim,

No doubt. I'll will address it as soon as possible.

Way to go Alan! This is a good item to make a sticky out of.
    It should be added that a few 1/3 passes is a good way to touch up a slightly dull razor.

X

I have a question about the pyramid system- What advantage does it do to keep on going back to a coarser grit when a fine edge is the optimal outcome? I mean, why tear down what you have, hopefully, been building up? Why not keep on going with the 8000 to a finer and finer edge? I don't mean to be a dunce, but I can't see why it is done.
    Thanks,
    Fred

An 8K doesn't produce a finer and finer edge. At some point its benefit, like all grit levels, stops.

A 4K is fast, like a car, and an 8K is slow and careful, like walking. Now, if you were to go shopping you'd use the car then walk, then use the car, then walk. You wouldn't just say, "why do I need a car when I can always walk?", nor would you drive down through the mall and park in the store.

This question comes up ever 6 months and I have to come up with a new analogy everytime to keep people reading my posts.
    Last edited by AFDavis11; 02-23-2008 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drfred View Post
    I have a question about the pyramid system- What advantage does it do to keep on going back to a coarser grit when a fine edge is the optimal outcome? I mean, why tear down what you have, hopefully, been building up? Why not keep on going with the 8000 to a finer and finer edge? I don't mean to be a dunce, but I can't see why it is done.
    Thanks,
    Fred
    Excellent question.

From the Norton Pyramid Honing Guide:
    • "Please note that this only applies to the use of a Norton waterstone. It does not apply to Japanese waterstones, a Belgian stone, Arkansas stones, classic barber hones , pasted strops or sandpaper."
    If it would "work" with the Norton, then why wouldn't it work with any other combination hone? I don't think it makes any sense to put 4k striations on an 8k bevel either. How and why would going to a coarser grit improve the polished edge from a finer grit?

My conclusion is that the pyramid scheme is designed to prevent new users from forming a wire edge. Nothing more, nothing less. If you watch what you're doing, a wire edge won't be a problem. If it becomes a problem, simply wipe it off the edge and hone again.

If there's another reason for using the pyramid method, on only a Norton, I'd be interested in hearing it too.
    Last edited by Sticky; 02-24-2008 at 12:37 AM.

. . . because 5 strokes is all you need for effective testing off an 8K Norton, not so with all the other stones. If it doesn't shave ok after 5 strokes, 30 will make little difference. Other stones require a different # of passes.

Its a simple, reliable method of honing that requires little experience. With pyramids you can start honing without reading 300 threads on how to do it, a myriad of edge testing thesis' and all sorts of arguments about bevel quality and criteria. You just hone and test.
    Last edited by AFDavis11; 02-24-2008 at 12:52 AM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast