Default Creating a Straight Bevel (?)

Looking for a new lesson this week...

I've got a smile, I've got a frown, I've got dull heels and thin toes.

I now have two shave ready(ish) razors and they feel nice and smooth but I haven't got the technique for an even bevel worked out.

Is this simply a matter of going heavy on the high points and light on the low points until I get parity?

Do I need to go back to the 4k and start again or can I work up to this on the 8k?

Should I be alternating hands?

Tapping my heels together 3 times?

I'm guessing that that next easiest improvement in my definition of "shave ready" will be found by evening out my bevels.

As always I appreciate your tips.

Thanks,
    -Bob

Frameback Aficionado heavydutysg135's Avatar

Many times an uneven bevel is caused by an unevenly ground razor; in these cases there is not much you can do but live with the cosmetic imperfection. On the other hand, if you are consistently getting the same unevenness then it is likely caused by uneven pressure throughout your stroke. Assuming you are only getting an uneven bevel on a small percentage of razors, it is not really something to worry about because as long as the entire edge is contacting the hone the razor should still shave very well.

Default Uneven-ness

Bob,
    The spine could be warped and the blade could be warped or both could be warped. This does happen following heat treatment of the steel. The only way I know to even things out is to first figure out whether it is the spine or the edge that is the problem. If it's the spine, you'll need to grind it flatter. If it's the edge that's more of a problem. As the spine is your "reference" for the edge of the razor and the edge indexes off of the spine, you can see the importance of having a straight spine.

Some people just go with the frowns and smiles and hone as well as they can and work with it. I do have a coticule in stock that's about 8" long and 3/4" wide and people use those on frowns and smiles as the stone has a reduced radius.