Thread: Warped W&B

Default Warped W&B

Hello all,

I (thought) scored a W&B wedge on ebay only to find ou tis is very slightly bent down the spine just enough so that it doesn't sit flat on my hone, GRRR! Other that that it is almost flawless, some very minor spotting. Is there any way to fix this? If it is no good i would think its worth trying to bend back, bent or really bent, either way it can't be used...

Ty

Default Warped W&B

Ty,

Many of the W&B's I have seen will not sit flat on the hone. It is the way they are made. I know several of the men on this board may be experienced in honing these blades - Gary (Traveler) or Chris (The Topher) may be able to help. From what little I know about it, you have to rock the blade while honing and it helps to use a fairly narrow hone.

Scott

Best to ask the honing GURU Lynn. Hopefully he reads your question.

There is no problem with the razor. It is hand made, and some variation is expected. You should use narrower hone, around 1 inch wide, and it should hone fine...

Nenad

< Banned User >

You can use only half of a wide hone by rolling it a bit while honing. This will get the whole razor. W&B's have issues with that frequently. All my hones from here on out will be in 1.5" or 2" size for that very reason. I am even thinking of having my norton cut in half at a masonry shop.

all i have at the moment is a dmt 8k, its 3" wide. I think this razor has convinced me of but thinner hones from here on out, i am glad i found this out early on

I have been rocking it like you say, but on the opposite side there is no way to hone the middle of the razor. This razor has very obviously never been used, the isnt a full bevel on it. someone made a feeble attempt at honing it and threw it aside.

I have a lansky set i use to hone my knives with. I turned the hone upside down and honed the w&b on it. These hones are only about 3/4" wide . I have a good bevel going now but I need to finish it real good because the finest hone in the set is only 1000.

Thanks for your help
    I will keep working on it...

< Banned User >

You get the middle of the razor by honing it on the edge of the hone. It is much slower than doing it the other way and you won't get a nice even bevel out of this guy but if you angle a hair it so that you place all pressure you exert on the closest 1/2 inch of the hone and use only very very light pressure you can get the middle. I just did a bow razor that gave me trouble like that. Thats what you get for having an ancient hand made blade.