Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Frameback Aficionado heavydutysg135's Avatar

Default General Question and Answer Database Idea

I think that a general question and answer database in the library and/or sticky in the newbie section would be a great addition to this forum and was wondering if anyone else thinks that it would be a good idea. Anyone who has been an active participant on this forum for an extended length of time knows that the questions that newbies ask when they are thinking about starting the hobby or are in the difficult beginning stages of the journey while well thought out and important are often predictable and repetitive. Although I want to help everyone and anyone who wants to take up the great hobby, it is often time consuming and boring to answer the same questions over and over again so I often refrain from giving advice. The people who give advice are most often the people who are only a little past the newbies on the learning curve because they are the ones who are most excited about their new “breakthroughs”.

My proposition is to compile an organized list/database of the most common questions that are asked and then answer the questions in a manner that is as objective as possible; if there are different experienced opinions/answers to the question then we could present both answers. This way if a beginner has a question they can just look in the database; most likely the question will have already been asked and answered before and they will be good to go. If the question is a new question then they can ask in the forums and get their answer that way. The question and answer could later be added to the database if those who maintain it feel that it would be a good addition. In my opinion this would be a great time saving tool for both the newbies searching for answers and the experienced members who are generous enough with their time to help those asking questions. Some of the more common questions that quickly come to mind for me in no particular order are:

- What do I need to start shaving with a straight razor?
    - What is the difference between honing and stropping?
    - I just bought a new razor and it is not shaving well; what is the problem?
    - What is the difference between the different sizes/grinds that I see, which one should I start with?
    - When and how many times do I need to strop my straight razor on the linen and leather?
    - How do I use pastes?
    - What stones/pastes do I need to touch up/hone my own razors?
    - What is the pyramid method, and how do I use it?
    - How do I perform and interpret the results of the various sharpness tests?
    - How do I flatten my stones?
    - Etc.

If we did decide to do this then we would need to compile a list of common questions and then figure out a way to provide the best answers possible. Maybe a committee of experts would be the best way to go, this is something that we would have to decide. Since this is Lynn’s forum, obviously he would have the final say in whether or not this is a good idea and if it were implemented then he would be the judge as to the answers to all the questions. I am just trying to get some feedback at this point as far as whether you guys think that this would be something worth putting time into creating as I do.

David

Senior Member, Moderator floridaboy's Avatar

I disagree, this hobby is very individualistic. I had the good fortune to have a true German man to teach me. He was my girlfriends father. I was Lucky, He took me to stores to find my razor, strop, hone, custom mug, Etc. He told me that he was proud to due this since he had no sons. He taught me to hone, strop shave, I was extremely lucky. The New Guys, (hate that word Newbie) are just that, New, Most need help and advice, if they don't want to listen, we have done our part, but if we don't help, then you will be buying stuff on ebay cheap. This is was a rare art, Most men don"t even know straights exist. We may not answer, but I bet at least one mod has looked at that question, and the answer. If they think the answer is down the wrong path, they will do some thing.

Now were is my medication?

Phil

I think it's a great idea. Use more or less "general" terms and point out what's preference and what isn't. It would beat the h3ll out of searching all over for information. (As a new guy I'm still doing it, that or PMing some members for tips and such (you know who you are...))

The immense popularity of Joel's tutorials over at B&B proves the idea's worth.

Pictures, diagrams, even vids would give that polished touch. I'd say go for it.

Hones & Honing randydance062449's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree. Many of the old timers are not posting anymore because of burnout. I am almost there.

Count me in to participate.

Hope Lynn approves.
    Randolph Tuttle, a SRP Mentor for residents of Minnesota & western Wisconsin

+1 on this idea David - I was just noting the other week that while I'm still new-ish, it seems that the same sorts of questions get asked by members who are here for 10-20 posts, and then we never see/hear from them again.

I still contend that a lot of the answers can be found by just going to the advanced search...I know I spent my first few weeks going through the archives before I even registered.

Just my $0.02

Mark

The Hurdy Gurdy Man thebigspendur's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Its true that the answers to these types of questions are already there if your willing to look. Yes we can consolidate it to one post but I'm willing to make a bet. Even after that's done we will still have the same number of those type posts because if people are either lazy and don't want to look, well, their not going to so are we going to point them to the new reference thread or will we stop answerering them or just continue as usual and answer them?
    No matter how many men you kill you can't kill your successor-Emperor Nero

Quote Originally Posted by thebigspendur View Post
    Even after that's done we will still have the same number of those type posts because if people are either lazy and don't want to look, well, their not going to so are we going to point them to the new reference thread or will we stop answerering them or just continue as usual and answer them?
    Several times I have given (and sought) a quick answer and also provided a link to a more detailed existing thread. A nice existing "standard reference/FAQ" thread would allow both approaches to be used simultaneously. It should be imminently workable based sorta' on models that already exist.

Of course, I have no idea how complicated it would be in practice.

EDIT: I'd be willing to help along those lines, but not sure how I could...

Even if you do as you suggest. People will still just put it out in an open thread. You have already provided them with the answer, they will just want you to link it for them, and what about those who are even new to using a forum?

Phil
    Last edited by floridaboy; 01-23-2008 at 01:32 AM. Reason: spellign, Doh

Quote Originally Posted by floridaboy View Post
    Even if you do as you suggest. People will still just put it out in an open thread. You have already provided them with the answer, they will just want you to link it for them, and what about those who are even new to using a forum?

Phil
    I'm thinking that providing a more detailed link might save a lot of repetitive typing. Much easier to make a link than repeat everything over-and-over. This way the link exists so that you can link it in the first place. Save the direct answers for when the new guys "stumble" or bring up a new point.

For the new users, direct them to a "sticky" (not me, thanks!) that explains the use of the Q&A database.

Good point, then the problem becomes amassing this info. Alot of stuff is around here, putting it all in one place maybe the prob.

Phil

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast