Thread: Wapienica?

Default Wapienica?

So, what are these Wapienica that I'm reading so much about?

Tom

NOS razors from Poland, sold via ebay seller (wojtec) who also posts on this forum. The steel is recognised as good quality and takes an excellent edge, easy to hone. Users say the shaving experience is akin to the best factory models out there (e.g. Dovo, TI) and many use them regularly in their rotation. The only downside is that the scales are also made of carbon steel and therefore the balance is not great. As as a result, many Wapi owners are either replacing the scales themselves (through Classic Shaving's spare scales and pins), or getting them customised.

Wapi's have been given an unofficial seal of approval from honemeisters here, including Lynn, all of whom have been impressed by them. Don't get me wrong, they're not in the same league as high-end straights, but they hold their own against ones on the market at $100.

They probably represent the best bang for your buck if buying a new straight -- a little under $12 each from ebay (but not shave ready) or ~$25 from various forum posters here shave ready.

Ideal for newbs from both shaving and honing perspectives.

Did I leave anything out?

Frameback Aficionado heavydutysg135's Avatar

I think that Majurey just about covered everything. Here is the link to where you can purchase the razors (non shave ready) from ebay http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZopenQ5frazor

There is a lot of hype about these little shavers and you sure can’t beat the price. I question whether it is a great shaver or whether it is a great shaver for the price.

Whether it is for honing practice or taking over as a new favourite this little wunderkind has attracted a wide fan base and is enshrouded in its share of mystery.

I don’t have any $100+ blades but I wouldn’t trade my Dovo Best Quality for a wapi.

The steel scales are problematic and while that can be improved by rescaling that alone will push the price towards par with the entry level Dovo razors.

Is it as good quality; frankly no?

Is it as good a shaver; argumentative.

Frameback Aficionado heavydutysg135's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Creel View Post
    There is a lot of hype about these little shavers and you sure can’t beat the price. I question whether it is a great shaver or whether it is a great shaver for the price.

Whether it is for honing practice or taking over as a new favourite this little wunderkind has attracted a wide fan base and is enshrouded in its share of mystery.

I don’t have any $100+ blades but I wouldn’t trade my Dovo Best Quality for a wapi.

The steel scales are problematic and while that can be improved by rescaling that alone will push the price towards par with the entry level Dovo razors.

Is it as good quality; frankly no?

Is it as good a shaver; argumentative.
    I have to respectfully disagree with you. I think that the Wapienica razors are great shavers period, not just great shavers for the price. I have about 25 medium to high quality razors and the Wipienicas can at least hold their own with any of them in terms of shaving abilities. My Wipienicas definately shave better than my mid level Dovo, which can be partially attributed to the fact that I prefer razors with a stiffer grind.
    Last edited by heavydutysg135; 07-26-2007 at 02:46 AM. Reason: typo

I'm with heavyduty. I like the heavy grind on my Wapis better than the thinner hollow ground razors, like my Dovo Best Quality.

I'm not always the best judge of shaving ability, but I can't say I've found a razor that shaves better for me. It just works well for my Gozilla beard.

Josh

There is no charge for Awesomeness Jimbo's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree that the wapis shave just as well as (most of) my more expensive razors.

And they are most certainly cost effective - lowest price entry level Dovo from the Shaver Shop in Australia is 120AUD. Compare that to 12USD for the wapi plus an optional 40USD for a ready to install set of wood or bone scales from classicshaving. Add maybe 10USD for shipping, factor in the exchange rate, and you walk away with a far better shaver, IMO, than the entry level Dovo, at a much cheaper price.

James.
    <This signature intentionally left blank>

My wapi (original steel scales) gives a superior feeling shave than my entry level TI.

That says all you need to know!

I am going to find out tonight, as I just got mine back from Joe Chandler. Unreal work on those scales, and the Wapi was a gift. I doubt that I will be dissappointed.