Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    EAD

Question Info on Damascus ?

Hello
    Can some one please explain me up to most detailed what is Damascus steel? what kinds are out there? (with more carbon, less and so on)
    And
    How is it on a straight? does it give a better edge? how hard or easy it to hone to strop? and how long will the edge stay keen?

I know it is a lot of questions, but I have search here and there a lot but couldn't find all the answers
    So
    Tank you

There have been a few posts recently on Damascus. If you do a search it will give you all the threads you'll want.

Cheers
    M.

EAD

I have read all that you have given me
    What I am asking is more for str8 razors
    How hard is it to hone it or strop it?
    How long will it keep the edge and how keen get it get?

These kind of questions I am asking

The Hurdy Gurdy Man thebigspendur's Avatar
    Blog Entries

true Damascus steel has been lost to history so what we call damascus is what people think Damascus is. As far as straights go I have a Maestro which is made from Damasteel which is a block of Stainless with small amounts of other minerals so after fabrication an acid bath reveals the patterns. I used my for about 25 shaves now and I think it is first begining to show a deterioration in shave quality so I figure another 5 or so shaves and I'll have to touch it up on the hone. I expect it will hone like a stainless which is to say a little slower than a carbon steel but since I haven't honed it before I won't know for sure until I do. I also have a TI Damascus which they claim to be wootz steel though there are other opinions about that. That one is carbon steel and I have propbably had about 50 shaves with it and its still going strong and doesn't need any touch up work. I have honed it and its a real bear to hone and the steel is very hard. It has a tendency to get microchips because of the hardness and brittleness of the steel. It is very different than any other razor I've used but once honed lasts a very long time but I will not look forward to honing it when it needs it again. When I initially got it it was like a butter knife and it took me months of on and off honing to get it to where it is today.
    No matter how many men you kill you can't kill your successor-Emperor Nero

EAD

amm
    So TI is a better one?
    Also
    Is it that hard? I thought it was less harder then steelines steel
    How keen is the edge? at least it last long? very long? also how does the stroping? do you feel like you need to put extra effort?
    And how is it when it come to resist rust?

"My words are of iron..."

Damasteel is good material. It's not layered in any traditional way but is a sintered crucible particle material. I've had a blade of that on a pocket knife in daily caring for fifteen years and it's never corroded. Compared to other stainless derived patterned materials, as heat treated, it's as good or better.

Carbon steel patterned materials will rust and require the same care as any monosteel carbon razor.

Heat treatment is the key to the performance of any steel, including the patterned ones. Hardness depends on the heat treatment. Stainless will not be harder than carbon steels unless the formula for heat treatment is manipulated to produce that result. Generally, carbon steels will take a higher hardness value than stainless steels and not be subject to fractures as easily. Hardness helps with edge retention and abrasion resistance, but is not the only variable that affects shaving success.

Honing success or failure depends a lot on the hardness of the material and likely more on the variable of honing technique. That is so subjective that it is difficult to assure you that it will be either easy or successful. But, it is a technique that can be mastered with practice. That should lend some optimism to everyone.

Pattern welded steels have an aesthetic value compared to monosteels. That's likely the only thing that separates the two. Given equal steel constituents, equal heat treatment, edge geometry and preparation, there should be no performance differences. Then subjective value takes over.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigspendur View Post
    true Damascus steel has been lost to history so what we call damascus is what people think Damascus is. As far as straights go I have a Maestro which is made from Damasteel which is a block of Stainless with small amounts of other minerals so after fabrication an acid bath reveals the patterns. I used my for about 25 shaves now and I think it is first begining to show a deterioration in shave quality so I figure another 5 or so shaves and I'll have to touch it up on the hone. I expect it will hone like a stainless which is to say a little slower than a carbon steel but since I haven't honed it before I won't know for sure until I do. I also have a TI Damascus which they claim to be wootz steel though there are other opinions about that. That one is carbon steel and I have propbably had about 50 shaves with it and its still going strong and doesn't need any touch up work. I have honed it and its a real bear to hone and the steel is very hard. It has a tendency to get microchips because of the hardness and brittleness of the steel. It is very different than any other razor I've used but once honed lasts a very long time but I will not look forward to honing it when it needs it again. When I initially got it it was like a butter knife and it took me months of on and off honing to get it to where it is today.
    Where do they claim it is wootz?

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    Where do they claim it is wootz?
    http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...551/977928.htm

The Only Genuine 100% Hand Hammer Forged Damascus Steel razors being made anywhere in the World. Produced in Thiers-Issard's own in-house forge by a single skilled craftsman employing the traditional labor-intensive hand hammer forging techniques refined by centuries of experience. Each razor is created from scratch, not simply ground out of commercially available imitation damascus steel (also often called damasteel) knife stock as are other lesser quality razors. Available in very limited quantity!

Genuine Damascus Steel, also known as "Wootz" steel, was developed for use in the manufacture of the world's finest quality swords, knives, daggers, and other combatant equipment long before the advent of today's modern steels. Long respected for its superior hardness and edge holding ability, it was feared on the battle field for its ability to shear off the blade of an opponents lesser quality sword.

When Genuine Damascus Steel is used as a blade in shaving razors the edge that can be attained is absolutely incomparable. Routine stropping will keep the edge fresh for years and the quality of the shave in terms of closeness and comfort is beyond description.

Due to the hardness of the steel, no blade etching or high polishing is possible. Instead the natural graining produced as a result of the forging, which is called "Mohammed's Ladder", is left evident in the darkened steel of the Full Hollow Ground Round Tip 5/8 blade, and only the blade's edge is highly polished. File jimps on the underside of the shank provide a secure grip. A truly striking effect and a thing of uncommon beauty. Due to the individual forging, grinding and shaping, no two of these very special razors are ever alike.

The finished blade is mounted to a very traditional Black Genuine Horn Handle and encased in a Custom Leather Pouch.

Whether as an addition to a valued collection or used as a daily shaver, this very special razor is certain to exceed your expectations.

F-ing liars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast