Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gold washed blade

This may seem like a stupid question to you guys who have a lot more experience than I do...but I have been watching Lynn's DVD and have an inquiry. I recently purchased a rather nice razor from ebay, but there is a bit of tarnish (not rust, as far as I can tell) on the blade and I would like to clean it up a bit. Lynn recommends MAAS polish, but this blade has a "gold wash" logo, and I don't know what the polish might do to it. Do I leave it "as is" or can I safely use a polish on it? The razor is not a prized collectors' item, but I don't want to damage it either. Thanks for your help.

Try going around the logo. If not possible, it all depends on how much you like the gold wash.

Default Gold Washed Blade

I had the same problem and it seemed all comercial tarnish removers and polishes with remove the gold along with the tarnish. All depends how heavy the tarnish is but I used this and it worked pretty well..

1 part liquid soap
    1 part salt
    1 part baking soda

Line a pot with aluminum foil bring to a simmer stirring with a wood spoon gently.

Let stand for 15 to 20 min.

Rub gently with toothbrush and let it sit on blade for 15 minitues.

Got this from my daughter who is a doc but majored in Chemistry.

Worn To Perfection Rusty Shackleford's Avatar

I used some Maas on my C-Mon Filly, and it took the gold wash off as quickly as it did the tarnish...oh well, live and learn.

-Pary
    Last edited by Rusty Shackleford; 03-31-2007 at 02:59 PM.

Any other suggestions or experience with vincebell's method, gents? I'm about to try to remove some tarnish and keep some gold wash this weekend . . .

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset gratewhitehuntr's Avatar

Default depends

depending on the shape, size, ect of the logo you could always cover it with clear tape and then cut the outline with an exacto knife.

I might 1) cut it a little big to stay away from the gold, besides, light tarnish will come off with use, soap, stropping, wiping on towel, ect
    2) I would anneal the blade of the exacto knife before I did it to keep from scratching the razor blade where you cut the tape.

Simply heating it orange hot by laying it on an electic stove burner and turning the stove on high and leaving it on the burner when you shut it off so it will cool slowly due to residual heat in the burner element should do it.

I would still test it on the shank, inside the jimping, somewhere to see if it will scratch the razor blade before I used it.

And for gods sake, don't cut over the gold, it will come off for sure if you scrape it with a knife blade !!

Good luck

The Hurdy Gurdy Man thebigspendur's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Damn that gold wash. Its only suitable for show razors not working razors. The stuff is very fragile so unless you go around it, it will come off. Unfortunately with most razors the gold wash covers so much and is spread out so even if you go around it there will be areas within that still have the tarnish on it.

The chemical method will work for light cleaning but most razors need the heavy artillary. So grasshopper the question you have to ask yourself is how much do you like that goldwash, eh?
    No matter how many men you kill you can't kill your successor-Emperor Nero

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset gratewhitehuntr's Avatar

Default new thought

I just started thinking, the tape may peel it if the gold is loose-crappy-pick a word

Renaissance wax does a pretty good job cleaning as well. I have been able to use it on d.duck goldedge goldwash and not lose any gold. It does have its limit's though.... Also, be gentle rubbing off the cleaner! If you rub too long (removed the cleaner but still rubbing) you might start to rub off the goldwash.

I agree with the others, goldwash is a PITA! Not only does it have cleaning 'issues', it rubs off easy, and on some older blades is the nucleation point for the formation of rust!

Good luck!
    C utz

Quote Originally Posted by C utz View Post
    I agree with the others, goldwash is a PITA! Not only does it have cleaning 'issues', it rubs off easy, and on some older blades is the nucleation point for the formation of rust!
    I didn't even think about that! Once those dissimilar metals come in contact with an electrolyte...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast