Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Razor Regrowth?

There is no charge for Awesomeness Jimbo's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Razor Regrowth?

I've read in a few places that the razor edge re-aligns itself (grows) after a certain amount of time after use. Some suggest 48 hours etc.

If this is true and if, as many people do, we have a few razors in our rotation, is there a need to strop?

I know the answer to this question depends on the purpose of stropping. And, I enjoy the process of stropping so I'll never not strop. I guess I was just wondering what people thought (and I'm a bit bored this morning and thought I'd drop a (slightly?) controversial question on the list )

James.
    <This signature intentionally left blank>

The Hurdy Gurdy Man thebigspendur's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't think you'll find any debate here on the view that stropping is a mandatory practice. It dresses the edge and the effect is to really make a difference in the quality of the shave.

There are many who have only one razor and that edge growth business really does not affect shaving with the same razor every day. I've done it and there is no difference in my opinion whether I wait a day or two between usage or every day.
    cudarunner likes this.
    No matter how many men you kill you can't kill your successor-Emperor Nero

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thebigspendur For This Useful Post:

cudarunner (04-25-2012)

Blog Entries

Sure, I understand. I strop before every shave on razors that haven't seen use in weeks. I guess my question was really about what stropping is for. It obviously has no "sharpening" component per se, at least not in the same way honing has. And for me, that leaves aligning and polishing the edge.

So I got to thinking that if stropping aligns, and if edges re-align over time anyway.....

Anyway, cheers for replying (I've never heard crickets chirping over the 'net before, but this one came pretty close ).

James.

I shave with a spoon on a stick. Slartibartfast's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So what is stropping for?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Sure, I understand. I strop before every shave on razors that haven't seen use in weeks. I guess my question was really about what stropping is for. It obviously has no "sharpening" component per se, at least not in the same way honing has. And for me, that leaves aligning and polishing the edge.

So I got to thinking that if stropping aligns, and if edges re-align over time anyway.....

Anyway, cheers for replying (I've never heard crickets chirping over the 'net before, but this one came pretty close ).

James.

Blog Entries

A good question Ben, and one I have been pondering during the intervening 6 years since this thread.

James.

I've heard of necroposts but this is ridiculous...
    dave5225 and tekbow like this.

I've read similar things, but the way I interpreted this was that metal was like a crystal and given time and certain conditions it would grow like crystal. I've never heard of the alignment thing though. I can reasonably accept that the metal might grow, but if it's out of alignment, then it would just grow in the wrong direction. So that would mean that one would still need to strop and that process would most likely destroy the infinitesimal amount that it would have grown. But hey, I'm new so....

Quote Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
    So what is stropping for?

Did you just necropost?
    It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled. Twain

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nun2sharp For This Useful Post:

Jimbo (01-20-2012)

ace

If you allow a 6/8 razor to rest long enough, it will grow first to 7/8 then on to 8/8.
    From there the progression is unclear, nor is it known how much additional growth
    will be generated. The sequence for describing these larger blades can be found on
    Ebay. An 8/8 is a chopper, and from there it proceeds to huge, monster, giant and,
    finally, widowmaker.

Blog Entries

Well yes, that is one way to go from a 6/8 to an 8/8, especially on an internet forum. I have noticed that the size of things tends to grow over time on internet forums

The other way of course is when a mummy razor loves a daddy razor very much, they go to bed together and make razor love to make little razors that grow into big razors through time.

James.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast