rum

Default Sunday shave

Kent T4
    Creed Original Vetiver SS
    Puma 6/8 No. 1
    Roger & Gallet L'Homme ASB
    Terre d' Hermes Parfum
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gentlemen, I asked last week about the Fili Regrinds that I have seen on this page....I didn't see any input...Can I get some opinions of the quality on those? I am considering taking the plunge, but I don't have any real reference to go off of except some really cool pictures....They are about $300 bones. I am not sure a regrind is worth that much? Any Fili regrind advocates out there? I would appreciate the advice. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BladeRunner001 View Post
    Razor: 6/8" Solgen "Real Japanese Hollow Ground" #75, Hollow, Truncated French Point/Angled Spike Point
    I have those same scales on a Red Imp...But some how yours look ten times better...How do you do that?
    Beautiful blade by the way. I love the engraving

Quote Originally Posted by leadduck View Post
    Afer Shave Ogallala Bay Run
    Have you tried the Sadalwood? My wife can't get enough of it! Sandalwood is the only aftershave that I have bought that she likes. I just received some bath soap, a replenish of the soap bar, a free sample of freshener spray. I love this stuff!
    Last edited by Maximilian; 01-30-2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: merged + compressed

Str8 & Loving It BladeRunner001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wintchase View Post
    Gentlemen, I asked last week about the Fili Regrinds that I have seen on this page....I didn't see any input...Can I get some opinions of the quality on those? I am considering taking the plunge, but I don't have any real reference to go off of except some really cool pictures....They are about $300 bones. I am not sure a regrind is worth that much? Any Fili regrind advocates out there? I would appreciate the advice. Thanks

I have those same scales on a Red Imp...But some how yours look ten times better...How do you do that?
    Beautiful blade by the way. I love the engraving
    Thank you for the kind words Wintchase. Unfortunately, I can't take credit for how they look, LOL. I love the Solgen blade.

Regarding your inquiry, was it the FiLi or the Livi regrinds? If it's the Livi, then they are great shavers...not sure if they are worth the $300 as you can get a similar (if not better) shave from the Filarmonica DT13 or 14. But, if you have $300 to burn, the Livi is a great looking blade...Love the scales too. Nice design. But, that's just my opinion. Hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by BladeRunner001 View Post
    Thank you for the kind words Wintchase. Unfortunately, I can't take credit for how they look, LOL. I love the Solgen blade.

Regarding your inquiry, was it the FiLi or the Livi regrinds? If it's the Livi, then they are great shavers...not sure if they are worth the $300 as you can get a similar (if not better) shave from the Filarmonica DT13 or 14. But, if you have $300 to burn, the Livi is a great looking blade...Love the scales too. Nice design. But, that's just my opinion. Hope it helps
    Dang it! I meant "Livi"..Thanks for catching that..Hmmm, so Fili huh? Maybe I should go that route....Thanks for the honest opinion..

Senior Member blabbermouth 1OldGI's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Sunday Dome and Face Shave

Hot Shower
    Baby Lotion preshave
    1912 Gem Jr. Fat Handle
    Semogue 2000
    VDH Deluxe
    Aqua Velva
    Florida Water
    Murray's Superior Pomade

Nothing fancy about this one. Simple, inexpensive products a really reliable razor set up and a hand stropped blade. The label on the baby lotion said something about shea and cocoa butter so I thought (why not?) Everything seemed to work very well and 3 passes each dome and face. Result BBS
    The older I get, the better I was

Its been maybe 6 months or so since my last shave with a fixed blade. Having bought the Feather with disposables, I felt i simply could not get my fixed to perform as well as a Feather blade. I have been very discouraged by this.
    I have gotten som advice from site members, talking about not focusing as much on the sharpness, but more on skincomfort and the fact the a factory made disposable blade will ultimatly perform different then a fixed blade.
    So tonight I went for a fixed blade shave. I tried to embrace the different feel, the ever so slightly tugging, the manual work of the shave, and the whole experience.
    Also I tried to modify my technique a bit, I did alot of blade buffing with the straight, and it really paid of.
    Tonights shave was probably the best fixed blade shave I have ever had. The closest and the smoothest.

I feel happy now, I think there is still hope for me and the fixed blades.
    That being said, I will still send a razor to Lynn and one to gssixgun for honing, just to see what the maximum potential is for these blades, and compare it to my own honing skills.

Prep: Hot water in the brush, and Proraso menthol cream.
    Lather: Proraso and glycerin.
    Face: WTG, XTG, XTG other way, with Hermés fixed straight.
    Head: Feather all stainless DE, ATG.
    Pro: Cold water splash, Proraso after shave menthol splash with alcohol, True Fitt & Hill Ultimate comforting aftershave balm.

Awesome shave!

Name:  30.01.2011.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  50.7 KB

Thumbs up

Wintchase: Re: The Livi: Look here.

"Cheap Tools Is Misplaced Economy. Always buy the best and highest grade of razors, hones and strops. Then you are prepared to do the best work."
    - Napoleon LeBlanc, 1895

Sunday
    Mitchells Wool Fat SS/Semogue EL 2010 #100 brush/Edwin and Jagger DE89BL with Astra/444 alum bock/Art of Shaving lavander balm (sample)

preshave:castle forbes shaving cream: castle forbes lavender after shave balm: castle forbes lavender and thayers lavender witch hazel brush:simpson b4 razor: thiers-issard garanti 69
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thumbs up

Very nice Blade eleblu5, Framebacks are great !

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast