Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Time Travel

JMS

I know where straight face would go. He would go back in time to probably this past thursday and explain to his cleaning lady that she is not to be handling his shaving gear.
    http://straightrazorpalace.com/newbi...vo-puddle.html
    Last edited by JMS; 11-15-2009 at 06:40 PM.

Time travel is such an interesting concept...and such a commonplace one in science fiction today. Does anyone know where the idea came from? Was Wells the first to think of it, or is anyone aware of earlier references?

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    I know where straight face would go. He would go back in time to probably this past thursday and explain to his cleaning lady that she is not to be handling his shaving gear.
    http://straightrazorpalace.com/newbi...vo-puddle.html
    lol.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by leadduck View Post
    Time travel is such an interesting concept...and such a commonplace one in science fiction today. Does anyone know where the idea came from? Was Wells the first to think of it, or is anyone aware of earlier references?
    http://tinyurl.com/yksfzk6

Quote Originally Posted by AussiePostie View Post
    Are you saying that travel to the future is possible?
    Of course it is. Every one of us is doing just that every moment of every day.

Quote Originally Posted by fccexpert View Post
    Of course it is. Every one of us is doing just that every moment of every day.
    I disapprove of this use of the term. Technically there is truth in it, but it is equivocating because what we mean when we say 'time travel to the future' is removing ourselves from our current frame of reference and going to a different one far in advance of where/when we are. For this same reason advancing our progress through time via time dilation is also a bit misleading.

Blog Entries

I don't see why.
    By using relativity to move forward in time, we are removing ourselves from the bystanders frame of reference, and moving to a point forward in his frame of reference, using less time than they themselves needed to get there.

Removing ourselves completely would take us out of existence and so far that is not a realistic option. It's theoretically possible via a wormhole, but noone has been able to come up with a set of conditions that would allow matter to come out intact, let alone alive.
    Til shade is gone, til water is gone, Into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath.
    To spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the Last Day

I Dull Sheffields

I'd like to go back and see a talking bush that's on fire, or the trickster who figured out how to throw his voice in 1250 BCE. All signs point to Aaron.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    I don't see why.
    By using relativity to move forward in time, we are removing ourselves from the bystanders frame of reference, and moving to a point forward in his frame of reference, using less time than they themselves needed to get there.

Removing ourselves completely would take us out of existence and so far that is not a realistic option. It's theoretically possible via a wormhole, but noone has been able to come up with a set of conditions that would allow matter to come out intact, let alone alive.
    Good points. As long as our frame of reference alters noticeably from our surrounding environment I guess I have to accept that time travel is occurring.

zib
    Blog Entries

Ahhh, the bush. Remember the singing bush in, "The Three Amigo's"
    We have assumed control !

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345