Default Lummus Old Sheffield Razors Articles

Hello to all, I am a brand new member and would like to share some information on how to obtain two hard to find Antiques Magazine articles on Old Sheffield Razors, by Judge Henry P. Lummus. I searched long for these great references! Hope this information is new to some. The cost was $2.50 per article and they were quickly shipped to me. Great service and communication from Adriana!

Adriana Valarezo
    Circulation Assistant
    Back Issues/Archives
    Brant Publications, Inc
    T: 212-941-2806
    avalarezo@brantpub.com

To order, please send a check or money order payable to The Magazine Antiques. Please be sure to clearly indicate the article(page, year, name of magazine) you are paying for. Also, please be sure to provide us with a shipping address. Our mailing address is:
    The Magazine Antiques
    Attn: Circulation Department
    575 Broadway
    New York, NY 10012
    The first one is from December 1922:
    Pages 261–267. Old Sheffield Razors. By Henry P. Lummus.
    The second article is from May 1927:
    Pages 372–374. More Old Razors. By Henry P. Lummus.
    Last edited by Croaker; 02-02-2008 at 02:52 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Croaker For This Useful Post:

bonitomio (10-28-2011), clavichord (05-05-2009), DwarvenChef (04-17-2010), MisterA (11-18-2009)

Hones & Honing randydance062449's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks a bunch!

Can you describe the content of the articlesso we know what we are buying?
    Randolph Tuttle, a SRP Mentor for residents of Minnesota & western Wisconsin

Judge Lummus wrote two scholarly articles about Sheffield razors, which were published in Antiques Magazine in the 1920's. They contain photos of dozens of razors from his personal collection, with descriptions of dates of manufacture, markings, and many points of interest to collectors trying to identify the origin of a Sheffield razor. They are frequently referred to in the Uniclectica guide to straight razors and by the better E-Bay sellers. He was one of the few recognized authorities on old Sheffield razors, by virtue of being published. His writing style is elegant and full of dry wit: for example: "in recent days, the majority of young American men began to hoe their faces with "safety" razors- a process that bears the same relation to shaving as clam digging bears to dry-fly fishing"! I found these articles both instructive and amusing. There are few gentlemen today of Judge Lummus's caliber.

Carbon-steel-aholic DwarvenChef's Avatar

Are these the only articules he wrote?

I'm interested to see what he has listed for the really old blades.